Thursday 7 June 2012

Sydney...by Sydneysiders

We have recently booked our flights to Sydney (more about that later), so to balance out my recent post on what I want to do before I leave London, I thought I’d blog about what I've got to look forward to about life in Sydney. In fact I have asked three friends of mine, currently residing there, to let me know what they love about this city and its surroundings, and their favourite things to do. So this is Sydney, according to Sydneysiders...


Heather is my cousin-in-law and lives in the Northern Beaches.
  • Running from Queenscliff to Shelly Beach as the sun is setting - you can't beat the fresh ocean air. 
  • Having coffee at Pilu Café overlooking Freshwater Beach with my girlfriends. 
  • Balmy summer nights out on the jetty at the Wharf Bar in Manly, watching the Sydney Ferry cross the harbour.
  • Eating fresh seafood at the Fish Café, Manly.
  • Drinks at the Opera Bar in Circular Quay, under the Opera House and with views to the Harbour Bridge.
  • Taking part in the annual City-to-Surf fun run. The views and crowd atmosphere as you run through Bondi is amazing!
  • Shopping in Paddington.

Opera Bar at the Sydney Opera House (image from Opera House website).


      Michelle emigrated to Sydney from the UK nearly four years ago with her Australian husband, and lives in Sydney's Inner West. She has a two-year-old daughter.
  • Getting my fab skinny chai latte at Ashfield pool cafe after a swim with my daughter. It's the best chai latte in the Inner West!
  • Going swimming at the outdoor pool at Cabarita at the start of summer...beautiful.
  • Going for a swim on the beach on New Year's Day. It blows away the cobwebs...and the hangover!
  • The outdoor playgroups that happen all year round are great. I'm pretty sure any mum will agree the fresh air tires the kids out more!
  • I love going into the city early on a Sunday morning and driving over the Harbour Bridge on the way to a beach...it's breathtaking.
  • Everyone seems to have embraced me and my family since we moved here. And everyone wants to talk and say hello...

Harbour Bridge (image from Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb)


     
 Teya is also my cousin-in-law and lives in the Northern Beaches.
  • Going to any of the markets, including Bondi, Manly, Balmain, Rozelle, Kirribilli, Glebe, depending on what you're looking for.
  • Catching the ferry from Manly to Circular Quay is the perfect way to get to the city. The fast ferry also serves booze, but the service is too quick to finish a piccolo of champagne!
  • Going to any of the outdoor cinemas in the summer - I went to the one in the Botanic Gardens earlier this year.
  • Canoeing or kayaking on Narrabeen Lakes or in Middle Harbour.
  • Sculpture by the Sea from Bondi to Bronte.
  • Eating yum cha in Chinatown.
  • A pub crawl around the Rocks, including taking in the view from the Glenmore Rooftop Hotel.
  • Playing two up on Anzac Day.
  • Enjoying a hot Christmas Day and having seafood and cold cuts for lunch with a cold crisp glass of champagne or Sauvignon Blanc...or beer.
  • Any restaurant that's BYO booze (I believe this is rare in the UK)!


Sculpture by the Sea in Bondi (image from website)

Do let me know if we have missed anything off this seemingly never-ending list of things to do and enjoy in Sydney, if you live there or if you have just visited.





Details


Pilu Restaurant,  Moore Road, Freshwater NSW 2096. www.piluatfreshwater.com.au

Manly Wharf Hotel, Manly Wharf, East Esplanade, Manly NSW 2095. www.manlywharfhotel.com.au

Manly Fish Café, 25 South Steyne, Manly, NSW 2095. www.fishcafe.com.au

Opera Bar, Sydney Opera House, Lower Concourse Level, Sydney, NSW 2000. www.operabar.com.au

Sydney Ferries www.sydneyferries.info 

Sculpture by the Sea www.sculpturebythesea.com

Rooftop Hotel, 96 Cumberland Street, The Rocks, Sydney, NSW 2000. www.glenmorerooftophotel.com.au (currently closed for renovation).



No comments:

Post a Comment