Wednesday 25 April 2012

The lazy girl’s guide to exercise


I find the problem with exercise is the faff of getting ready and going out, and where we live it’s also finding somewhere to park near the gym (I cannot walk the mile back after a workout as my legs normally turn to jelly!). I’ve had a gym membership for the last four years, but rarely used it and finally cancelled it last month, but only because our move abroad spurred me to do so. I’m fine when I get there, or get to my local Zumba class, but 50% of the time I just can’t be bothered to leave the house, so I don’t. With the goal of looking my best on my wedding day, I lost over two stone on the Dukan Diet last year. I don’t want to wax lyrical about this diet as it is pretty unhealthy (no fruit is allowed at all and veggies are only permitted every other day during the second stage, which lasted four months for me), but it worked wonders for me and I found it pretty easy to do as the Mr was also following it (he lost nearly five stone). However, since the wedding I have been terrified of putting the weight back on, so instead of making myself eat nothing but protein again I have bought a pile of exercise DVDs and Wii games on Amazon. I thought I’d share my favourites with you below.


1. Davina McCall’s DVDs

I already have two of Davina’s DVDs (Davina Fit and Body Buff) and I’m about to buy the next one which has just been released. I find these really are the best exercise DVDs as they are separated into two cardio routines and then shorter routines targeting specific area such as arms, legs and tummy/core. I normally find myself doing an hour's workout and not even realising it as I alternate between cardio and the other routines. I even invested in some weights at the end of last year just before my wedding and I sometimes find myself doing some of the exercises from the DVDs using the weights in front of Eastenders in the evening. I try to use one of these DVDs 2-3 times a week for an hour, and it's good to alternate them so you don't get too bored, although you do end up knowing every single word Davina and her trainers say after a while! 



2. Pilates with Lynne Robinson

Again, I have a few of Lynne Robinson's DVDs as I think she is the best when it comes to Pilates. I have been to a few classes over the last ten years or so, and I would recommend going to a class if you have never done Pilates before, as it is important to learn the basics before attempting them on your own. However, I've had these DVDs in my collection for a while now as I find Pilates helps an old back injury I've had since I fell down the stairs in my teens, so when I'm feeling stiff or my stomach muscles need a good workout (!) I'll get my trusty DVD out and do 30 minutes or so with Lynne. It's also a great way to wake up in the morning. Many of her DVDs are still available on Amazon.



3. Wii Just Dance

Now this isn't technically an exercise video, but I was introduced to Just Dance by my good friend Alex one Saturday night at her place a couple of years ago. It was great fun and I immediately went out and bought it (and Just Dance 2 a year later), and it has often came out at various parties we've had since, along with SingStar. However, when I was looking at potential Wii fitness games to buy I thought why not just use the dance games I already have, seeing as they make my heart pump and seem to give me a proper cardio workout. When Just Dance 2 came out in 2010 it seemed that the makers also thought the same thing as they added a 'Just Sweat' mode, not quite how I'd put it but it does spur you on to put your all into your dancing. To start with it was a bit difficult to do this without the aid of a few glasses of wine, but if you're on your own who cares?!



4. Wii Zumba Fitness

When I first started my pre-wedding diet/fitness regime last year I went to a few Zumba classes, but mostly with one of my friends and it was rare that both of us could make certain classes. So I went on Amazon again and bought the Wii Zumba Fitness game. I didn't have high hopes for this as the fun I experienced at Zumba class was mostly due to being in a classful of women all laughing and joking, and generally having a blast. This was the case to a certain extent as it isn't as much fun when you're dancing around your living room alone with only a computer-generated Zumba teacher, but it is still better (I think) than a lot of exercise DVDs out there. There are a lot of different routines ranging from beginner to expert in all forms of dance, including salsa, merengue and hip-hop, and it also comes with a very fetching belt that holds the Wii remote, but is actually easier to wear than I first thought it would be. This game also provides my husband with many laughs when he walks into our living room and sees me shaking my hips à la J-Lo (but unfortunately not looking much like her). I keep trying to persuade him that he'd enjoy a Zumba class...




Let me know in the comments box if you recommend any other exercise DVDs as I don't think you can ever have too many!



 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Davina! My favourite DVD exercise guru, but will try Zumba now too!

    ReplyDelete