Tuesday 25 September 2012

The delights of Sydney real estate

Well I could do a whole blog on the trials and tribulations of the Sydney real estate market. We've only just started applying for rentals, so I know we're still in for a whole world of pain, but I'm already sick of open houses (I never thought I'd say that!) and trying to make small talk with real estate agents. We've been to open houses where we were the only people viewing, and we've also been to one where there were over 30 people trying to squeeze into a two bedroom unit! Suffice to say this one went within 24 hours (it had the most beautiful view of Sydney harbour).

This morning I submitted two applications for properties in Manly. We both LOVE one of them - its balcony hangs right over the water, there is a secluded beach and freshwater pool one minute walk away, and it is only a 10 minute walk to the ferry to get into the city. The other one we saw a couple of weeks ago and I was sure it was going to be snapped up immediately so we didn't bother putting an application in as Steve hadn't started his job at that point. Fast forward two weeks and it's still on the market and is in a brilliant location; again 10 minutes walk from the ferry and a five minute walk to the local cafes, shops and the beach.

Beautiful Manly beach.

So I would be really happy in either of them and I have everything crossed that we get one. I know we will be so incredibly lucky if we are considered for either property, so I am still on the hunt. We are also looking in Balmain, Neutral Bay/Cremorne and North Sydney. We feel that we are pretty laid back with where we live, as long as we get two bedrooms (for ALL our guests from the UK to stay - come on guys!), outside space and a relatively new bathroom and kitchen. But you don't get much for your money round these parts, even coming from London.

Will keep you updated...


No comments:

Post a Comment